Webinars - Discussion Paper on Heritable Securities: Default and Post-Default
24 Jan 2022
The Scottish Law Commission is hosting a number of webinars in February and March for anyone interested in reform of the law of heritable securities (mortgages).
We are currently conducting a major review of the law in this area and have recently published a Discussion Paper on default and post-default matters. The paper has 15 substantive chapters and includes 69 consultation questions on default, the procedural aspects of enforcement and the remedies available under a standard security. The overall aim of the reforms discussed in the paper is to streamline the process of exercising a standard security whilst maintaining an appropriate balance between the interests of the parties. Consultation on the paper is open until 1 April 2022.
At each webinar, members of the project team will go through the key issues and questions raised in the Discussion Paper. By the end of the session attendees will have a better understanding of the content of the Discussion Paper, specifically:
- the key difficulties with the current law which prompt the need for reform;
- the preliminary proposals developed by the Commission to resolve those difficulties; and
- the questions on which the Commission is seeking views in order to produce final recommendations to Government for new legislation in in this important area.
The webinars will take place on:
- Thursday, 24 February 2022 between 13.00 and 14.00; and
- Thursday, 10 March 2022 between 17.30 and 18:30.
If you wish to attend either webinar please click the relevant link above.
Please note that each Webinar will cover substantially similar material, so there is no need to attend both.
Verifiable CPD: 1 hour